Monday, November 30, 2009

Knee Injuries

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/172417.php

I know i keep posting links from this same website but everyday I find something good that they put out. CHeck the date of this article it was put out today. I just want to say that a year ago I would have said this is BS because I have seen research that has shown that high impact activities actually increase bone mineral density and prevent degenerative diseases like osteoporosis. There is no way to know if the people did unhealthy high impact activities. Landing without bending legs, jumping from too high up. (I know i jumped off my roof a bunch and off fences and out of swings growing up) It never effected me...here is the part though were I explain why I phrased it "A year ago I would have called this BS" ...

The last year my right (jumping) knee has been killing me whenever I LJ, I can sprint on it, run on it, but that first LJ and it hurts, and it usually lasts 2-3 weeks. The last few months i have toned down my training and avoided jumping hopefully giving it time to heal (Im optimistic that it is an injury and not a degenerative condition) this article caught my eye today becasue this is not helping my optimism.

Hopefully all those roof jumps aren't coasting me now... I am not even 30 yet.

1 comment:

  1. I think it might have something to do with the level of overuse or contact...

    Softball pitchers with good form don't need to have surgery and can throw for many many games without having issues. The second you have start throwing off, that's when you need surgery.

    Soccer players who play for fun on a daily basis get the benefits of cardio and muscle, but the second you introduce jersey pulling and unsafe tackling, you got yourself a recipe for disaster.

    Coming from UCSF doctors and animal behavior professors, it might be a cost/benefit curve where it helps to go running and go jumping. But eventually the benefit of running and jumping is minimized because you're just beating the crap out of your cartilage and your osteoblasts can't work fast enough to build up your bone. The "smart" athletes are the ones who can figure out what the max benefit is while minimizing the costs, kinda like animals that need to maximize their escape ability from predators while minimizing their energy expenditure.

    And a side note, but most anatomy classes or developmental biologists will tell you something along the lines of the shoulder and the knee were poorly designed.. they may have had the perfect function once upon a time before football linemen and soccer and rotator cuffs, but evolution has not caught up to the needs of athletes.

    ReplyDelete